Apprentices are required to complete between 4,000 and 10,000 hours of work under a licensed journey depending on the trade. For example, plumbing is 8,000 hours or 4 years and sheetmetal 2 is 4,000 hours or 2 years. In addition to these hours, training of at least 144 hours per year is required. Starting pay rates for apprentices is generally between $10 - $12.50 per hour - consideration is given for higher start rates for candidates having prior experience in the trade they are applying for.
HOW TO APPLY FOR APPRENTICESHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Openings for apprenticeship are based on the needs of the industry and on the future work expectations of the company. Acceptance of applications does not mean that openings exist now or that they necessarily will in the near future. However, an application must be on file for an individual to be considered when an opening does become available.
Applicants will become eligible for openings when they become available only if they have meet the basic qualifications; score high on the trades aptitude test and are successful in the interview and reference checking activities. Such candidates must successfully complete both a mandatory drug test and background check before being hired by Gem Plumbing & Heating.
1. You must meet all of the following basic qualifications to be considered for apprenticeship openings that may become available:
• At least 18 years of age
• High School Diploma or GED
• Physically able to perform the work of the trade
• Must have some mode of transportation to Gems place of business
• Must be a US Citizen or have a Work Permit
2. To be considered you must complete an application online. The online application will include a questionnaire, application, two assessments, and will allow you to upload a copy of your resume. Please be sure that all information on the application is complete and that you finish the entire application process.
3. Applications will only be accepted during the following quarterly open application times:
• January 1st – January 31st
• April 1st – April 30th
• July 1st – July 31st
• October 1st – October 31st
4. You must have an email address and regular access to a computer to apply online. If you do not have an email address you may contact Human Resources at 401-831-7000 and they will make arrangements for you to complete the application.
5. You will receive all notifications through email. If you do not have an email address or regular access to a computer then you will receive notifications through regular mail.
6. If you do not meet the basic qualifications outlined above, you will be notified and will not be considered for future openings. Once you meet the qualifications you may reapply.
7. If you meet the basic qualifications outlined, you will receive notification that we have received your application. You will be notified of the date, time and place of the test. After testing, you will be notified of the results.
8. If you score high on the aptitude test, you will be invited to the company for an interview. Failure to either confirm or keep your appointment will result in your disqualification from the apprenticeship program.
9. You must bring your High School Diploma or GED to Gem at the time of your interview. Failure to do so within 2 weeks will result in your disqualification. After your interview reference checks will be conducted.
10. Successful candidates will be placed in our pool of candidates for future apprenticeship openings.
11. You must notify Gem as soon as possible if any of your contact information changes. If we are unable to contact you, you will no longer be consider for the program.
Please contact human resources at 401-867-5309 with any questions you may have during this process.